I loved bouncing balls as a child; and now, I share this obsession with my kids. But back then, we always used to get them from the machine outside the store. But not anymore.
As a mother who strongly advocates DIY (because it’s eco-friendlier and cheaper, of course!), I couldn’t just hold back from trying to make bouncing balls at home.
There’s nothing too tricky about these bouncy balls. If you remember taking chemistry classes at school, this will only be fun for you. And even though that these bouncy balls don’t bounce as much as the store-bought, but they are still fun to make and play. And from the learning perspective, there’s so much your child gets to know. So it’s a win-win in many ways.
What do you need?
- Food coloring
- White glue
- Measuring spoons
- 2 small cups
- A spoon
- Watch with a second hand
- Ziploc bag
- A marking pen
- A Ruler
- Take two containers and label one “Borax Solution” and other “Ball Mixture”.
- In the Borax Solution container, add 1/2 tbsp. borax and 2tbsp. warm water. Add the coloring.
- Take the ball container and 1 tbsp. of white glue.
- Now add 1/2 borax solution and 1 tbsp. of cornstarch to the white glue. Let it sit for around 30 seconds and then air.
- Continue stirring until it’s too gooey for you to stir.
- The mixture will start taking the shape of a ball. Rub the mixture between your hands to make a ball.
- You might feel that the ball is very sticky but keep rolling and it will get better and even start bouncing.
- It’s time to take the ruler and measure how high the balls bounce. You can make a game out of this.
Once you have played with the ball, you can keep it in a Ziploc bag. Do not eat anything from the ball and wash your hands, work area and the utensils used for the activity.
It’s just one of the many other interesting DIYs that will be coming your way. Make sure to “Allow” notifications from NewsCrux.com so you can know whenever a new DIY comes your way.
If you try this bouncy balls DIY, don’t forget to leave a comment below. I will love to reply back to you guys.
Love and Peace!